Monday, December 7, 2009

Life in Denton!

This is crazy. Seems like just yesterday when I moved from College Station to Allen and this past Saturday I moved from Allen to more permanently Denton!

I know few things, but here are a few things I do know that spurred the move:

1) Being called long term to be a covenant member of The Village Church, somewhere. To serve there in varying ways while living missionally amongst the whatever culture God has placed me.

2) The need to finish college.

3) Affirmation of my vocational pursuit- firefighting! God has been so sweet to me. I've never met more firefighters who are dedicated to live for the Gospel, willing to answer any of my questions or encourage me in any way towards this calling. I'm truly blessed to be here.

4) Culture shock? Not a bit- I fit here. The (little) artistic ability I have, love for music, weird way of dressing, kind of bike I ride, how I see things.. the list goes on- all of that enables me to puzzle into life here amongst my peers and truly see others for who they are:

Worshipers.

..of what?

In Denton, as in anywhere, many things. People, money, food, sports (eh... not the mean green.. sorry.. ) but you get it. Here I think it's 'free' thinking that prevails. Call it liberalism, atheism, 'artsy people' or whatever but God's given me a joy to share who is truly worth the worship of our time, conversations, money and adoration: Jesus!

Galations 5:1

This is why I share what I know- contrary to belief its not about morality, standards for which to live or rules to follow- chains- but its freedom!

Don't worry- if you're a LHer or my parents- I haven't fallen off the deep end and go party and drink or smoke (which to some degree we all have the 'freedom' to do) but to clarify I now have more of a balance in my life. Now I couple the two- the depravity of man and the gospel.

For me-

I knew the gospel. But I also believed Satan's lies. I knew I wasn't worthy of being saved, loved like a son or called into an inheritance. But I didn't listen to Jesus finishing the sentence, the verse. I stopped there, short. And lived a majority of my college life burdened by the shackles of the guilt and shame of my past of sexual idolatry and pride.

It's the depravity of man, our wretchedness, that makes the Gospel so beautiful. Because God is good and is a loving God he sent His son to save me, that it might increase His name's fame. It has nothing to do with me yet the blood covers all of me- my past, present and future.

The balance- proclaiming "Yes! I'm prone to wander from the One that loves me most! BUT, He died so I wouldn't have to, when I was furthest from Him! At my worst, my ugliest, Jesus died."

So how's life? Life is abundant in joy and deep in communion with my Lord.

Progressive sanctification is not 'struggling with sin' when you're choosing sin, when you're making provision for your flesh. I've learned- progressive sanctification is giving up what's in your hand when God reveals it to you- one day at a time. Daily living a life of continual repentance and confession.

How good is it to live in the light.

thanks for reading my rant.

love.

1 comment:

  1. Hey JP!

    I'm learning this too! Ephesians 2 says it well: For it is by grace you have been saved, not by works so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works: which he prepared in advance for us to do! Wow. And sanctification is by grace and through faith, not just salvation!

    So good!

    I'm so glad you found a career you love! What will you major in college?
    Who are you living with?

    Make sure that as you live missionally, you are going where the Lord is working, and that other believers are going to "dark" areas with you!

    Finally, and I am so excited to tell you this, Josh Kercho and I are dating. You are probably shocked. As were we. But the Lord does CRAZY and Amazing things! And I am SO blessed :)

    I love you JP, and I will be praying for you!

    Love,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete